Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Blanket Fairy: Fighting Pediatric Cancer with Sprinkles of Comfort

TOUCHSTONE THURSDAYS

by Alia Tarraf

Here is the proof fairies are real and you don’t need money to make magic.



In 2009, Kim Ortega was a work-at-home mom who had been selling clothes, fabrics and handmade blankets online for years.  It was more of a passion than a job since she didn’t really make a large profit from it.  Kim and her husband, John, who was an Agency Operator for Hertz, had a happy life, the parents of two beautiful children, Zachary (5) and Madyson (1).

Then John was laid off.  That’s when things hit rock bottom.  In January 2010, Kim and her two children watched John drive away from their home in Arizona so he could start a new job in Missouri.  It was the only work available and the family could only afford for him to go. 

Brokenhearted and knowing they wouldn’t see him for five months, Kim would lay awake at night, missing John.  On one of her sleepless nights, she was online and came across a prayer request for Layla Grace Marsh on Twitter.  Layla suffered from Neuroblastoma, a cancer of the network of nerves that carry messages from the brain throughout the body.  Kim’s heart went out to her.  She stayed up all night reading.  Layla’s story stuck with her and inspired Kim to begin following other children with cancer on Twitter, wondering what she could do to help. 


Then she had an idea.  The blankets.  Kim began to contact the parents of these children struck by cancer and offered to make a blanket for them. 

The response was quick, the demand was high and the work was rewarding.  Kim began going on Ebay to ask fabric vendors for discounts or if they were willing to donate.  Two out of three companies offered to donate their fabric and materials.  Kim was shocked.  And excited.  Here was something she could do to comfort others, and indirectly, comfort herself.

Word spread and people began asking if they could help too.  Soon, Kim had volunteers all over the country at their sewing machines.  She had become The Blanket Fairy.



WHAT DOES THE BLANKET FAIRY OFFER?

Our mission is to make and donate as many blankets as possible to children with pediatric cancer.  We follow many blogs and websites and when we see a child that needs a lift in spirits while going through treatment, we contact their parents to ask if we can send their child a package.  The package includes: a handmade blanket, a pair of pajamas, a "The Blanket Fairy" T-shirt, slipper socks, coloring books, crayons, markers or paint, bubbles, glow sticks, books, a few toys and a handmade super hero cape.
   
 

WHY DID YOU FEEL IT WAS IMPORTANT TO GET INVOLVED IN THE FIGHT AGAINST CANCER?

When these kids are diagnosed, cancer is the last thing on their mind. Most families are not even aware of the symptoms. Once their child is diagnosed, they do not have time to do anything but care for their child. I feel it is up to all of us as a whole to raise awareness.
 
WHAT HAS BEEN THE BIGGEST SURPRISE IN BECOMING THE BLANKET FAIRY?

Support.  I thought I was just going to deliver a couple of things to the hospital. I decided to open The Blanket Fairy Facebook page and I just could not believe all of the support.  I am not rich financially but I am good at figuring out how to get things done so people reaching out really helped.

The biggest single surprise was from Ellen Degeneres.

In August of 2011, I sent Ellen a “Gold Package of Hope”, which included a beautiful blanket with her favorite football team’s colors: gold and black.  The gold represents childhood cancer.  I asked all of my fans to go onto her Facebook page and ask her to open the package.  A few hours later, a video was posted on The Ellen Show website.  My email blew up.  Hundreds of people were asking how they could help. They sent me packages with handmade blankets, toys, pajamas, socks.  Awareness was spread.  
  
HOW CAN SOMEONE GIVE AND/OR RECEIVE VIA THE BLANKET FAIRY?

My goal is to bring a smile to a child’s face while they are going through the fight of their life.  I follow many blogs and what I will do is if there is a child that needs a lift in spirits while going through treatment, I will contact their parents to ask about sending a package to their child.


The only requirement is that I get a picture of the child with their blanket and goodies so I can post pictures on the site so people can see where their donations are going.  I do not take requests because I pay for the shipping most of the time.  I will only approach parents once I know I have the funds to do so.  I do make a list and go down the list as I have the funds.


At the moment, I can only do this for children living in the United States due to the high cost to ship out of country.

HOW DO YOUR VOLUNTEERS HELP?

The volunteers make blankets or hold events to make blankets for me and some do toy drives.
  
Volunteers can sign up at:

IF YOU WERE ABLE TO HAVE THE ENTIRE WORLD'S ATTENTION FOR FIVE MINUTES, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY?

I would tell them to look at their child and imagine for just a second, “What if my child was diagnosed with cancer?”

To learn more about The Blanket Fairy, visit: www.theblanketfairy.com





If you have a story idea for The Why? Foundation, please contact us at info@thewhyfoundation.org.


www.thewhyfoundation.org



1 comment:

  1. Kym is an amazing women!!! And I am blessed to work as one of her Fairies!!!!!

    ReplyDelete