Monday, May 27, 2013

Power of Music Mondays: "Falling and Flying"

Power of Music Mondays
by Allison W. Gryphon


“The air’s so heavy, it could drown a butterfly, if it flew too high.”

Going through chemo, music was a life raft for me. Not far into treatment, I was introduced to the song Falling and Flying by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals.  It was an instant connection. I felt understood. Walking on that high wire between life and death is truly falling and flying all at once.

Sometimes I’d be sitting in the chair, watching the poison drip, wondering what it was doing to by body, and I’d put this song on repeat and just let go... it got me through more than a few scary moments.


Click Here to listen to Falling and Flying from the album This Is Somewhere.


Click Here to visit the official website of Grace Potter and the Nocturnals.


"Falling Or Flying"
We got lost again
Drove to the end of a road
And a red aced man
Taught us to do what we're told
And on the 23rd night
Things ain't bad but things ain't right
Are we falling or flying
Are we falling or flying
Are we living or dying
I guess we'll never know
The air's so heavy
It could drown a butterfly
If it flew too high
And i get the feeling
That the truck driver ain't shy
Cause he's looking at me but nowhere near my eyes
And on the 35th morning
Things ain't good but things ain't boring
Are we falling or flying
Are we falling or flying
Are we living or dying
I guess we'll never know
Sometimes it's hard tot ell
If there's a life behind a song
But i know tomorrow
Today won't feel so long
Cause on the 42nd night
The room was dark but the stage was bright
Are we falling or flying
Are we falling or flying
Are we living or dying
Cause my friend this too shall pass
So play every show like it's your last

About Power of Music Mondays

I received many gifts while I was going through my cancer fight. They were all amazing and helpful. What stands out to me more than anything is music. The songs and playlists I was sent became a huge part of my treatment. It’s the one thing you can always have close by. It can turn you around and slip itself around your soul to make everything ok, if even just for a moment. Looking back, I'm not sure how I would have done without it. ~Allison

The Power of Music is extraordinary. The right song can inspire, empower, comfort and redirect anyone. Cancer fighters and their families are no exception.

Every Monday, The Why? Foundation will celebrate a song and an artist that has given us a musical gift.

If you have a song that has helped you or someone you know fight the fight, we want to hear about it. Please send an email to info@thewhyfoundation.org with your story and your song.

No comments:

Post a Comment